Mkhuze Game Reserve, Isimangaliso Wetland Park, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Accommodation: Lodge, tented camp, cottages, chalets and huts
Activities: Guided night drives, forest trails and walks, hides, self-drives
Highlights: Wildlife viewing hides, birding and guided activities
Mkhuze in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park is well known for its excellent birding opportunities with at least 400 species present, but that's not all. This KwaZulu-Natal nature reserve offers great contrasts and therefore a wide range of wildlife habitats.
Animals present in the reserve include Elephant, Black and White Rhino, Wild Dog, Hippo and Blue Wildebeest, Giraffe, Eland and Kudu plus many other antelope species. Rarer animals that live in the reserve include Cheetah, Leopard, Hyena and Suni.
Mkuze is made up of mostly dry and flat landscapes which are broken by ancient dunes that have turned into sandy ridges. You'll also find rare sand forest, riverine forest, swamps and acacia savannah leading to the Lebombo Mountains in the west.
- Mantuma and Nsumo have picnic and barbeque sites for day and overnight visitors
- The Rhino Dine-O Take-Away at Mantuma is open for 2 or 3 hours at each meal time (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Mantuma has a swimming pool for overnight guests
- Drinking water in the reserve has been treated and filtered but it is very brackish (salty), bottled water is available at the take-away and at the curio shop
- The curio shop stocks basic food items
- Fuel is available at the Camp (unleaded petrol and diesel)
- Mkhuze is located in a malaria zone so precautions are necessary, please consult your medical advisor. Mosquito nets are provided in each accommodation unit