Midmar Dam offers a large expanse of fresh water surrounded by rolling countryside. Enjoy accommodation near the shore line and open views at this KwaZulu-Natal nature reserve. Midmar is a popular destination for various sports events.
With facilities for canoeing, sailing and windsurfing, Midmar Dam offers opportunities for a great weekend away or a family holiday. Fishing and boating enthusiasts can spend time on their favourite activity, while those who enjoy walking and biking can view various antelope species in the game park section.
- The dam water is bilharzia free and quite safe for swimming (in-shore away from boats)
- The dam is zoned for powerboats, personal water craft and yachting
- Power boat skippers must have a Category R Certificate
- There is a boat shop for the hire of yachts, canoes and windsurfers and the purchase of fishing equipment and boat spares - open on weekends and at peak holiday times
- Day visitors will find picnic sites under the trees next to the water (ablutions and refuse facilities provided)
- Visitors can hire boat or caravan storage units (some are lock-up garages)on an annual basis
- A fuel station is situated close to the main entrance gate to the reserve