Accommodation: Self-catering log cabins
Activities: Ski-boat and surf fishing, self-guided walking trail, birding
Highlights: Fresh Mussels and Crayfish, fishing and dune view site
Relax in the shade of tall trees and enjoy the lush surroundings at Maphelane. The riverine forest at this KwaZulu-Natal nature reserve bustles with birdlife and you may even spot a rare inhabitant - the Red Duiker.
The camp is situated on the southern bank of the river mouth for great access to the rocks along the shoreline. Enjoy boating and fishing in this intertidal zone which is also great for musseling and crayfishing.
- Please seek advice on precautions against contracting malaria
- Swimming or wading in the river is not permitted due to the presence of Crocodiles
- Swimming in the sea is at own risk (best only at low tide)
- Please enquire about marine permits
- The nearest shop is 50km (31 miles away) and the road can be difficult to drive at times, also there is a low speed limit enforced